Sunday, July 21, 2013

Review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)
Title: Pushing the Limits(Click title for Synopsis)
Source/Format: Purchased, Kindle edition
Age Range: YA
Publisher/Publication Date: July 31, 2012, Harlequin Teen



My Thoughts:

     Ok, I admit it, shame on me for once again buying into the hype surrounding a popular book. Shame on me for thinking it was going to be something, you know, entertaining and worthwhile. I have another confession to make: I really, really, REALLY wanted to like this book, and I did have high hopes for it. But Pushing the Limits was none of that for me and I just didn’t get very far. I’ve read contemporary novels this year, some of which I’ve really liked, and some, well, not so much. Pushing the Limits just didn’t do much for me other than make me shake my head at it, and wonder why I was reading it in the first place. I don’t get this whole thing were substance/alcohol use has to be in every single book, and to be honest it just didn’t sit well with me. I don’t know, maybe I’m missing something here, but I just couldn’t do it. And I'm sorry to say that I didn’t even like Noah.

Exhibit A:
From Noah's POV

"She swept up her backpack and left the office.  Her tight @#! swayed side to side as she marched down the hallway."--pg.20

     I don't know, I just had a problem with the way Noah described Echo at times.  And I did not like his drug use.

Exhibit B:
From Echo's POV

""Yep." I took the cup from her and finished it off.  I didn't particularly care for the taste, but when at a kegger..."--pg52

"The warm fuzzy feeling that helped take the edge off also slowed the thought process."--pg52
    
      So suddenly under aged drinking is ok?  Where are the parents?! So, um yeah, that’s just my opinion, but I’m not saying you shouldn't read it because I didn’t like it. By all means, take the plunge…if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...