Saturday, December 30, 2017

Best of 2017: Books

Continuing with the “best of 2017” theme, Adri and I are back and ready to list our picks for the best books we read in 2017. 

Before we get to the list, I have a couple of technical things to mention. To keep this organized, I’ve broken the post down into two sections: Fiction and nonfiction. Also, these are just the books we read this year and are a combination of 2017 releases and backlist titles. Because Adri is joining me, I'm not setting a limit on the amount of books we can pick for our respective lists. And, these aren't all the books we read and loved. This is only a very small percentage of them...
Fiction…

Adri's picks...
  • Raven (TPB) By Marv Wolf man, Alison Borges, and Diogenes Neves
  • Mirror's Edge: Exordium (TPB) by Christofer Emgard and Mattias Haggstrom
  • The Gauntlet by  Karuna Riazi
  • The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis
Comments: Okay, this is a sad, sad list. After I wrote it, I ran to Breana and demanded to know what fiction I read (jokingly of course)! Well this is it... sadly. I actually wanted to read more comics this year, but I'll do that next year.

Breana’s picks…
  • The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
  • The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden
  • The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco 
  • The Windfall by Diksha Basu
  • Starflight by Melissa Landers
  • City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett
  • A Crown of Wishes by Rochani Chokshi
  • The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
  • Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova
  • Rivals in the City by Y.S. Lee
Comments: Overall, I had a relatively good reading year. Most of the fiction I read ended up being highly enjoyable reads with unique settings, stories, and characters. There were very few exceptions to that, mainly because I was pickier this year and only read books I thought I would enjoy.
Nonfiction

Breana’s Picks…

  • Gone by Min Kym
  • Colored Pencil Portrait Painting by Alyona Nickelsen
  • Undeniable by Douglas Axe
  • The Cosmic Web by J. Richard Gott
  • Wondrous Beauty by Carol Berkin
  • Don't Live for Your Obituary by John Scalzi
  • Discover Magazine
Comments: I didn’t end up reading as much nonfiction as I originally thought I would. Part of the problem was finding ones I was actually interested in. That being said, the books I did read were surprising in all the best ways possible.

Adri's Picks...
  • Leading Lady by Stephen Galloway
  • Color Index by Jim Krause
  • Rarely Seen by Susan Tylet Hitchcock with a foward by Stephan Alvarez
  • Dressed: A Century of Hollywood Costume Design By Deborah Nadoolman Landis with a foward by Anjelica Huston
  • The art of Fashion Draping Second Edition by Connecticut Amaden-Crawford
  • The Fabulous Fibonacci Numbers by Alfred S. Posamentier and Ingmar Lehmann
  • Manga Art by Mark Crilley
Comments: In contrast to Breana, I read so much nonfiction, this list only scratches what I read. This year, I mainly stuck to fashion, designer's biography, art, and other biographies. I beleive I'll continue to read books like these into 2018, because I have a long list (that I manage to lose) of books I want to read from the library.
 What are some of the best books you read this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...