Friday, November 2, 2018

The Friday 56 (142) & Book Beginnings: Putting the Science in Fiction edited by Dan Koboldt

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


38395588Synopsis from Goodreads...

Science and technology have starring roles in a wide range of genres--science fiction, fantasy, thriller, mystery, and more. Unfortunately, many depictions of technical subjects in literature, film, and television are pure fiction. A basic understanding of biology, physics, engineering, and medicine will help you create more realistic stories that satisfy discerning readers. This book brings together scientists, physicians, engineers, and other experts to help you: Understand the basic principles of science, technology, and medicine that are frequently featured in fiction. Avoid common pitfalls and misconceptions to ensure technical accuracy. Write realistic and compelling scientific elements that will captivate readers. Brainstorm and develop new science- and technology-based story ideas. Whether writing about mutant monsters, rogue viruses, giant spaceships, or even murders and espionage, Putting the Science in Fiction will have something to help every writer craft better fiction.Putting the Science in Fiction collects articles from "Science in Sci-fi, Fact in Fantasy," Dan Koboldt's popular blog series for authors and fans of speculative fiction (dankoboldt.com/science-in-scifi). Each article discusses an element of sci-fi or fantasy with an expert in that field. Scientists, engineers, medical professionals, and others share their insights in order to debunk the myths, correct the misconceptions, and offer advice on getting the details right....


Beginning: "Stories require a delicate balance between too much and too little world building. Authors must always know more about their fictional setting than the reader, but the story needs only the information necessary to make the reader believe it is real."

56: "Jurassic Park pushed the limits of the fledgling molecular biology knowledge base in the late 1980s.


Comments: I received this book from Bookish First for review. I like this book a lot. My beginning comes from How to ask an Expert by Eric Primm, and my 56 is from The Science of Jurassic Park by Mike Hays on page 49. 

What are you reading this week?

22 comments:

  1. ooh this would be a great book for me to feature during my 'Non-Fiction November' special - plus it also loosley ties in with Science Fiction Month :)

    Here is my Friday Post! Have a great weekend, Breana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my usual read, but I'm intrigued by the ideas in the excerpts. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fascinating read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting. This week I am featuring a historical mystery - A Dangerous Duet by Karen Odden. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a really interesting read. Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I have to agree with that. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. The title is intriguing...as are the excerpts you've shared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't read much Science Fiction but when I do I appreciate it when they use real science to expalin things like in the MARTIAN by Weir. My book is called 1968 Do you remember that year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally agree. The science is part of what I loved about The Martian. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I imagine this would be a really interesting, and useful, work. I'm not hugely up on science, but I do find it annoying when something in a story is clearly unworkable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure I couldn't write anything sci-fi, because I have so little aptitude for any kind of science. I enjoy reading it nonetheless. I hope you like/liked this one!

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy Putting the Science in Fiction. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Wow, this sounds really great. Glad you enjoyed. Happy November!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...