Monday, July 25, 2016

Musing Mondays (57) Favorite Genre Characteristics Part #2

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by Jenn at Books and a Beat, that asks you to muse about something book related each week.

My musings for the week...

Random weekly question: What’s your most favorite “chunky” book? (over 500 pages)

The Diviners by Libba Bray. It was a fantastic book, but I just haven't read the sequel yet.

Other musings...

Today, I’m going to pick up where last week’s Musing Mondays post left off. Last week, I started discussing some of the things I liked about the different genres/subgenres. Honestly, I thought I was going to write a couple of sentences, list what I liked, but it got too long so I split the post in two. So, here is part two of favorite genre characteristics.
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1)High Fantasy (Fantasy)

For a number of reasons, I really enjoy fantasy. When I pick up a novel from this genre I’m mostly looking for a good story—as I do with most genres—although, I also look for things like world building, characters (doesn’t matter if they’re heroes or anti-heroes, male or female), and magic/mythology oriented with the made-up society. I always enjoy seeing different takes on magic from different authors. It’s always one of my favorite parts of any story that has it—with a few minor exceptions. The creatures are definitely another aspect of fantasy that I love. Some of them can be terrifying, but as long as they have a place in the story I’m totally down with them being there. More often than not, this also ties into the mythological aspect as well as the magic itself, the history of the world. Think along the lines of Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas.

I always look for the “aha!” moment when everything just clicks together and makes sense—when all of the details finally come together to form the bigger picture.

This Is What Happy Looks Like (This is What Happy Looks Like, #1)Contemporary (Literarily Fiction)

I’ve been reading more contemporary lately, and I have found some gems. One thing I particularly enjoy is the relationships formed by the main character and the secondary characters. This kind of applies to any kind of relationship, whether it is a familial bond between parents and children, or just regular old friendships. I also look for the simplistic moments, ordinary, or even accidental occurrences. One example is This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith.
Whew, and I’m done with this topic for now. I might come back to it later, add to it a little by expanding into other genres. But for now, I’m totally done with this. Despite how wordy it got, this was fun to do. What are you reading this week?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Breana! I loved The Diviners too! I loved the historical aspects and how Libba Bray created such a creepy atmosphere, it gave me chills! I have read the second book. It's just as good but I didn't like Evie at all. She was completely different and I didn't like that, but the story was amazing.

    High Fantasy is easily my favourite genre but I'm trying to expand my horizon's and with historical fiction, mystery novels and contemporary fiction.

    I agree the best Contemporary fictions are those focused on the familial bonds or friendships. I've really enjoyed Wild Swans by Jessica Spotswood and Every Exquisite Thing by Matthew Quick this year.

    Happy Reading!
    Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. Evie was my favorite character from The Diviners. Still, I'm definitely going to get to the sequel eventually. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  2. Now I'm curious about This Is What Happy Looks Like. Thanks for sharing...and here's MY MUSING MONDAYS POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is What Happy Looks Like is definitely one of my all time favorite young adult books. Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  3. Think I might have to try The Diviners again I've started the ebook a few times but keep getting distracted and stopping. (http://twobirds1blog.blogspot.ca/2016/07/musing-mondays-i-like-big-books-and-i.html)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these yet. Fantasy isn't my favorite genre, but I enjoy it from time to time. Thanks for visiting The Book Connection.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...