Friday, October 7, 2016

The Friday 56 (79) Grand Forks by Marilyn Hagerty

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE
Synopsis from Goodreads...

17383970A legendary 86-year-old food critic brings together a collection of the best down-home, no-nonsense restaurant reviews-from Red Lobster to Le Bernadin-culled from her fifty year career...

Writing for her local North Dakota newspaper, the Grand Forks Herald since 1957, Marilyn Hagerty went from obscurity to overnight sensation in 2012 when her earnest, admiring review of a local Olive Garden went viral. Among the denizens of the food world-obsessive gastronomes who celebrate Alice Waters and Michael Pollan, revere all things artisanal, and have made kale salad a staple on upscale urban menus-Hagerty's review ignited a fiery debate over the state of American culture. Anthony Bourdain defended Hagerty as an authentic voice of the larger American culture-one that is not dictated by the biases of the food snobbery that define the coasts. In this refreshing, unpretentious collection that includes more than 200 reviews culled from a voluminous archive spanning over fifty years, Hagerty reveals how most Americans experience the pleasure of eating out...
"It's different, all right. It's alive."--Grand Forks by Marilyn Hagerty
Comments: When I fist saw Grand Forks, I thought it would be kind of interesting to read.I like how its just a collection of various restaurant reviews. I started this book earlier in the week and finished it yesterday afternoon. It was pretty great.

What are you reading this week?


21 comments:

  1. It does look interesting! I've never really read restaurant reviews before, but I love recipe books so maybe this is a thing I should try?
    Here's my Friday Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it seems like something you would enjoy, then definitely check it out. Hagerty's style of review was interesting, and I liked how the book centered largely on the restaurant scene in her community. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend! :-)

      Delete
  2. This one sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend! :D

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of this - don't think I've seen it before but I like just regular down home cooking without all of the fuss - and yes I too love to eat at The Olive Garden.....lol...here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend! :-)

      Delete
  4. This sounds like my kind of book! Not sure how I missed it but I'm adding it to my TBR right now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to eat at good restaurants, so I'm sure I'd enjoy this book. Sounds delightful!
    My Friday post features The Songbird’s Call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend! :-)

      Delete
  6. What a nice change of pace from reading fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly my reason for reading nonfiction every now and then. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend! :D

      Delete
  7. I'm instantly hungry because of that cover. Glad you enjoyed and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do love the cover on this one. It kind of has a retro feel to it, which I like. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend! :D

      Delete
  8. Oh, I bet I would like this book. The cover is certainly retro. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is definitely retro, which is probably why I like it so much. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend! :-)

      Delete
  9. This one sounds awesome. It'll be a great break between stretches of fiction for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend! :D

      Delete
  10. I would totally read this gem! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend! :-)

      Delete
  11. I'm hungry just looking at the cover! :)

    Check out my Friday Linkups.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...