Friday, January 19, 2018

The Friday 56 (121) & Book Beginnings: Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE
Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.
20706284Synopsis from Goodreads...

What if you once had thousands of bodies and near god-like technology at your disposal? And what if all of it were ripped away?

The Lord of the Radch has given Breq command of the ship Mercy of Kalr and sent her to the only place she would have agreed to go—to Athoek Station, where Lieutenant Awn's sister works in Horticulture. Athoek was annexed some six hundred years ago, and by now everyone is fully civilized—or should be. But everything is not as tranquil as it appears. Old divisions are still troublesome, Athoek Station's AI is unhappy with the situation, and it looks like the alien Presger might have taken an interest in what's going on. With no guarantees that interest is benevolent
Beginnings: "Considering the circumstances, you could use another lieutenant." Anaander Mianaai, ruler (for the moment) of all the vast reaches of Radchaai space, sat in a wide chair cushioned with embroidered silk."

56: "In my quarters, Kalr Five, disquieted by the day's events but of course expressionless, had my supper waiting for me--a bowl of skel and a flask of water, common soldier's mess."
Comments: Ancillary Sword wasn't as good as Justice or Mercy. But I still enjoyed it. A lot of vital things happened, and set up the conflict for the third book. So, it was definitely worth the read. What are you reading this week?


30 comments:

  1. I haven't begun this series yet but have the first book on my Kindle. I'm spotlighting Year One by Nora Roberts. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ancillary Justice is one of the best books of the trilogy. I definitely recommend it. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. Not my usual read, but the excerpts did grab me. I don't think I'd like a bowl of skel, though. LOL. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not heard of this series before. Hope you enjoy this one.

    My Friday 56 from Look For Her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  4. I don't read many books like this but I'm intrigued by the teasers. I like the description in the beginning especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beginning is also on of my favorite lines from Ancillary Sword. It's memorable. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  5. Glad you've found a series to enjoy. I haven't heard of this author or series, so I'm interested in finding out more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it takes a special opening to get me interested in Sci-Fi. Not sure this book does it for me. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat cover. Not my typical read, so I'm not familiar with the author. Hope you have a great weekend.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-friday-56-january-19.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the covers for the Imperial Radch trilogy. The art is done by one of my favorite artists, John Harris. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  8. I loved the first book and need to read the others. I am sorry this one wasn't quite as good, but glad you enjoyed it just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the story is better than the cover. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like an interesting read! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not heard of this so hope it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard about this one. Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of this one and it isn't something I'd pick up, but glad it was worth the read for you. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one is new to me, too. I don't usually read speculative fiction, but it sounds intriguing :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series as a whole is one of my favorites in the speculative fiction genre. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  15. Your blog is beautiful! I love your graphic.

    Thanks for sharing your book opening on Book Beginnings. I don't often get time to comment or come by, but I appreciate everyone's participation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard so many great things about this series - I've got to start in on it soon. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds interesting and something you probably want with the next one at the ready.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...