Friday, February 18, 2022

The Friday 56 (212) & Book Beginnings: Washington Square by Henry James

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


Synopsis from Goodreads...
Back when New York was still young, so was heiress Catherine Sloper. A simple, plain girl, she grew up in opulence with a disappointed father and a fluttery aunt in a grand house on Washington Square. Enter Morris Townsend, a handsome charmer who assures Catherine he loves her for herself and not for her money. But Catherine’s revered father sees in Townsend what she cannot. Now, with her tearful aunt Penniman as his amusingly melodramatic ally, Townsend will present Catherine with the hardest choice of her young life.…

With a New Introduction and an Afterword by Michael Cunningham, Author of The Hours


Beginning: "During a portion of the first half of the present century, and more particularly during the latter part of it, there flourished and practiced in the city of New York a physician who enjoyed perhaps an exceptional share of consideration which, in the United States, has always been bestowed upon distinguished members of the medical profession."

56: "It will probably seem to the reader, however, that the doctor's vigilance was by no means excessive, and that these two young people had an open field."


Comments: I read Washington Square by Henry James. I enjoyed this one. Note: It wasn't until I was picking the quotes that I realized how long the first sentence of chapter one actually was. What are you reading this week?


22 comments:

  1. Oooh this sounds like exactly the kind of fun classic I need right now! I love the looooong opening sentence and the way the F56 addresses the reader. I can already tell I'll have a good time laughing at aunt Penniman as well. I'll definitely be adding it to my TBR. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked those moments as well. Breaking the fourth wall can be effective. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Authors of those earlier times did tend to use longer sentences, didn't they? I've never read any of Henry James' books. Not sure this is the one I'd start with though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. I read this book quite a while back and enjoyed it. There is a nice movie adaptation too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually saw the movie first. So The Heiress was the reason why I wanted to read Washington Square. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Yes, quite long for a first sentence! I need to explore more Henry James's writing.
    Mine is in French this time: https://francebooktours.com/2022/02/18/le-promeneur-sur-le-cap-friday-56-vendredi-lecture/
    I have free copies and also a giveaway, so if you read French or have friends who do, please pass the information along. Have a great week-end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. There are a few other books by Henry James that I want to read. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Very tempting! Great excerpts, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend! :-)

      Delete
  7. That is a long first sentence! Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I honestly didn't notice when I first read the book. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. I never read this one. The synopsis sounds good and so do the excerpts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read Washington Square. I know Henry James most from Daisy Miller and Turn of the Screw. I will have to add this one to my to read list since you enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing! Have a great weekend, Breana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know Henry James through Washington Square so far. Turn of the Screw is one of the books I want to read. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. I am more intrigued than I first speculated I'd be upon glancing at the cover. Pleasantly surprised. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Opening definitely sets the tone - a highly educated narrator with a bit of an elitist perspective. That works for this particular genre, I bet. Fun to see how different authors tackle their subject matter. My first Friday 56 and First Line Friday are up here: http://www.lyndonperrywriter.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-naked-in-death.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...