Friday, December 8, 2023

The Friday 56 (243) & Book Beginnings: Starling House by Alix E. Harrow

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE **Note: Freda @ Freda's Voice is taking a break from The Friday 56; Anne @Head is Full of Books is hosting for now.**

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.

Synopsis from Goodreads...
A grim and gothic new tale from author Alix E. Harrow about a small town haunted by secrets that can't stay buried and the sinister house that sits at the crossroads of it all.

Eden, Kentucky, is just another dying, bad-luck town, known only for the legend of E. Starling, the reclusive nineteenth-century author and illustrator who wrote The Underland--and disappeared. Before she vanished, Starling House appeared. But everyone agrees that it’s best to let the uncanny house―and its last lonely heir, Arthur Starling―go to rot. Opal knows better than to mess with haunted houses or brooding men, but an unexpected job offer might be a chance to get her brother out of Eden. Too quickly, though, Starling House starts to feel dangerously like something she’s never had: a home. As sinister forces converge on Starling House, Opal and Arthur are going to have to make a dire choice to dig up the buried secrets of the past and confront their own fears, or let Eden be taken over by literal nightmares. If Opal wants a home, she’ll have to fight for it.

Beginning: "I dream sometimes about a house I've never seen. I mean, pretty much nobody has."

56: "The only reliable measurement of time is the state of the place."


Comments: I wanted to do one last Friday 56 & Book Beginnings before the year was over, and it's for Starling House. This is the first book I've read by Alix E. Harrow, and I loved it. What are you reading this week?

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like a horror novel from the description, though not from the quotes. I have trouble reading horror because it scares me. Ha! I just read something that teenagers are drawn to reading horror because of all the turmoil their hormones are putting them through. So now you can think of yourself as young at heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starling House definitely has horror aspects. But it's more on the gothic side, as the synopsis suggests. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed Harrow's The Ten Thousand Doors of January. I'm glad to see how much you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I liked Starling House so much, I want to read The Ten Thousand Doors of January as well. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Both snippets you shared are thought-provoking. I hope you enjoy this one! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good. I love gothic stories especially those involving a mysterious house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. I also like house stories; they're some of my favorites. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I love the sound of this one! (And the cover!) Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...