Monday, September 29, 2014

Musing Mondays (10)

     Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading, that asks you to muse about one of the following each week:
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

My Musings for the Week...

     So I thought I would do something a little different today by talking about how my reviews come together, and a bit about how Our Thoughts Precisely works. First, are the reviews. Of course I have to read the books before I can even get to the review.  Once I've read the book I usually write the review in one sitting, and the length usually depends on how much I have to say about the book.  So the review could be long or short, but not based on if I enjoyed the book or not.  I could love the book, but feel like I can't say much without spoiling everything so the review would be shorter, or I could hate the book and have a lot to say on it.  It also works vice-versa.  Once the draft of the review is done I look over it for possible spoilers that might have made it in.  Once all is said and done, the reviews are posted.

     I review in no particular order, its just sort of random depending on what I do or don't want to read.  If I have review copies from the publisher I make them a priority, meaning they go first, usually.  I post when I want sometimes twice or more a week, sometimes less. It just depends, because balancing blogging with life is an important thing. In other words I've still got other things to do so blogging has fallen into my free time. Promotional post go up on the specified dates so there's nothing much to say on them.  All in all, my posts sometimes tend to be a little sporadic depending on what I'm doing at the time, or if I feel like blogging at all.
 
     Do I have someone working on the design of the blog?  Ha, ha, nope. I work on the design myself, that includes the header, background, the occasional arrows, and rating graphics. Would I considering hiring someone to do it for me?  No again. I like working on things for the blog, specifically the art.  For instance, the previous header I made was nice, but then I noticed something wrong with it later and I decided to scrap it for an entirely new look. With as many times as I want to change things, if I had to hire someone each time I would probably be broke by now.

     So that's it, a brief look into the things that happen behind the scenes at Our Thoughts Precisely.  If given the choice between making your own blog art and hiring someone else to do it, which would you choose?

2 comments:

  1. I made my own blog using the templates provided - my header isn't anywhere near as beautiful as mine but I did arrange the books on the shelf ;-) I tend to write my reviews in one sitting too although they are always the same sort of length, I like to read, write the review and post it before starting on the next book but it doesn't always work quite like that because as you say balance with real people is important too.

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did take a look at the templates on blogger before deciding to go with my own design. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your own blog experience! :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...