Friday, April 12, 2019

The Friday 56 (151) & Book Beginnings: Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


25667918Synopsis from Goodreads...
Her name is Binti, and she is the first of the Himba people ever to be offered a place at Oomza University, the finest institution of higher learning in the galaxy. But to accept the offer will mean giving up her place in her family to travel between the stars among strangers who do not share her ways or respect her customs. Knowledge comes at a cost, one that Binti is willing to pay, but her journey will not be easy. The world she seeks to enter has long warred with the Meduse, an alien race that has become the stuff of nightmares. Oomza University has wronged the Meduse, and Binti's stellar travel will bring her within their deadly reach. If Binti hopes to survive the legacy of a war not of her making, she will need both the gifts of her people and the wisdom enshrined within the University, itself - but first she has to make it there, alive....


Beginning: "I powered up the transporter and said a silent prayer."

56: "But they brought me food and water."


Comments: I can finally cross Binti off my TBR list. It was an interesting story, and I want to read the rest of the trilogy. What are you reading this week?

28 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun science fiction story! I like it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I have mixed reviews on Binti...but I tend to trust the positive ones. The most appealing thing is that it is so short.
    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Hmm, not sure about this one, but thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend! :-)

      Delete
  4. I've seen this book around but didn't realize it was science fiction. I'll have to add it to my wishlist. This week I am featuring The Curse of the Silver Pharaoh by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. This book sounds really good. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good story. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Intriguing snippets and I love that cover!!!! I am so sold! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is eye-catching. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. What a cool cover. I kept looking at it thinking about the makeup artist who helped the woman look that way. My review and quotes for SHOUT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cool book cover. It's an illustration by David Palumbo. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. Not sure I got a good feel for the book from the short quotes, but glad to hear you liked it well enough to continue with the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the quotes are kind of vague, but Binti is only 96 pages long. I wasn't trying to spoil the story for those who haven't read it. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend! :-)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend! :-)

      Delete
  11. Sounds interesting! I am featuring The Left Hand of Darkness this week:
    https://bethsbookishthoughts.blogspot.com/2019/04/book-beginnings-friday-56.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds intriguing and that's a great cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend! :-)

      Delete
  13. I need to read this author already. Hope you enjoy the rest of the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...