Monday, July 14, 2014

Review: The Archived by Victoria Schwab

The Archived (The Archived, #1)Title: The Archived (Click on Title for Synopsis)
Author: Victoria Schwab
Source/Format: Purchased/ iTunes ebook edition
Age Range: YA
Publisher/Publication Date: Hyperion, January 22, 2013

My Thoughts:

     I’ve had my fair share of woes with the YA genre as of late, and I haven’t read much in a long time. But I finally sat down to read Victoria Schwab’s, The Archive, at last. I found the book to be highly entertaining, as well as refreshing with a cast of interesting characters, and a plot that kept me otherwise in the dark until the very end. I truly did enjoy The Archived.

     To start, The Archived had an interesting premise: the dead supposedly being placed on shelves and you know, cataloged like you would books. Right from the beginning that premise caught my attention, and I wanted to know more about the Archive and the people who worked there. One such person associated with the Archive is none other than the main character, Mackenzie Bishop. She, unlike some YA characters, wasn’t perfect and made her own fair amount of mistakes. Mackenzie also grieved a great deal, but all of her faults made her a well-rounded character that I found relatively likable. And her parents weren’t cookie-cutter folks either they dealt with their emotions in their own way. They had separate…I guess you could say, identities, which made them stand out rather than blend right into the background. Then there was Wesley Ayers…hmmm, what should I say about him? Well for starters he was an interesting character with little quirks mentioned here and there—you could really tell that he cared. 

     The setting, which is something I rarely ever mention in reviews, was very fascinating. The Coronado was and old hotel that was renovated into apartments and you could almost say it was borderline dilapidated. And yet the place held on to its old world, mostly faded, charm. Would I visit the place? Um, no! With all of the trouble that Mackenzie experienced there in the Archive, I have to say no on that one. And by trouble, I mean the plot. The Archive’s opening chapter basically solidified my reason for finally reading this book, and from then on I blew through the rest. So without spoiling things, I’m just going to call it a day. But in my opinion The Archived was a solid opening to a series, and I intend to continue on with the next book as soon as I get my hands on a copy of The Unbound. Five birdcages. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...