Friday, September 20, 2019

The Friday 56 (160) & Book Beginnings: Tithe by Holly Black

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


46777Synopsis from Goodreads...
Welcome to the realm of very scary faeries! 
Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms - a struggle that could very well mean her death...


Beginning: "Kaye spun down the worn, gray planks of the boardwalk."

56: "A few hours later they were sitting on the curb outside the Wiz divvying up their loot."


Comments: I'm not currently reading anything, so I thought I would share a few quotes from one of my favorite books by Holly Black: Tithe. Its been a long time since I read Tithe. It might be time for a reread. The beginning comes from chapter 1 instead of the prologue. What are you reading this week?

22 comments:

  1. Ooh Tithe sounds really good, I love those extracts.
    I've only read The Cruel Prince by Holly Black, but I really enjoyed it so Tithe has gone on my TBR.
    Cora | http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep meaning to read this series, I just keep getting distracted by other books.
    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've piqued my interest. My first thought on seeing the title was that it must be church-related. But the excerpt shared, the mention of New Jersey, and the beautiful butterfly on the cover make me want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tithe is part of the Modern Faerie Tales series. So it's about faeries. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely curious for more!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been really curious about this book. Good to hear that it's one of your favorites. I'll have to check it out. I love books featuring faeries. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a fan of books featuring faeries. I recently read The Unkindest Tide, part of the October Daye series, which reminded me a little of Holly Black's books. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen this one before. Is this the same writer as The Cruel Prince?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly Black is also the author of The Cruel Prince. Tithe was released in 2002, and some of the characters from it also appear in The Cruel Prince. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. I don't know why, but those two excerpts made me think of pirates. LOL I haven't yet read a Holly Black book, but I do want to. Tithe sounds good. I love reading about the fae. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scary faeries! Tha sounds so good! Will add this to my TBR too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend! :-)

      Delete
  9. Sounds exciting! Thanks for playing along with Book Beginnings! I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to visit lately, But things have calmed down a bit, so I hope to come around more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. I understand how busy life can get. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I love Holly Black! Thanks for sharing!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...