Friday, January 26, 2024

The Friday 56 (244) & Book Beginnings: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE **Note: Freda @ Freda's Voice is taking a break from The Friday 56; Anne @Head is Full of Books is hosting for now.**

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


Synopsis from Goodreads...
It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble. But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little. For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

Beginning: "Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love."

56: "The voices in Whelk's head were a roar, but for once, his own thoughts had drowned them out."


Comments: Back in December, I reread Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Boys. It was about a full decade since I first read it, and I enjoyed the story much more this time around than the last. What are you reading this week?

16 comments:

  1. I haven't read this author but heard good things about her. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting beginning! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It leaves a lasting impression. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to read this one for awhile. I am glad you enjoyed rereading it! I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  4. So you enjoyed the reread more than the first time through, huh? I was just wondering if I reread it if I would like it as much. I'm crazy about the series. But first I have to reread Scorpio Races. That book!!!! I love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My initial response to The Raven Boys was sort of lukewarm, which is why I was curious to see what my reaction to it would be after a reread. I'm actually planning to finish the series + The Scorpio Races this year.
      Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. That opening grabs your attention! Thanks for sharing your post on Book Beginnings! I'm reading Hamnet this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an interesting book and certainly very unique.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/01/26/friday-56-the-antique-hunters-guide-to-murder-c-l-miller/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. And I hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  7. Being a Baltimore Ravens fan, the fact that this is raven-themed caught my attention. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great beginning! I definitely want to read more. Hope you have a wonderful week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. And I hope you have a great week too!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...