Thursday, February 1, 2024

Favorite Recipes Ice Cream + a Sorbet

Today I want to talk about some of the ice cream recipes I tried. Although I don’t remember everything I made, this is more of a collection post since I’ll be talking about multiple recipes briefly. For all of them, I used our Cuisinart Ice-21 1 ½ quarts Ice Cream Maker—which I love since it doesn’t require salt. However, you don’t need one to make frozen desserts. If you look around, there are ways to do it without a machine.

The first recipe is Simple Vanilla Ice Cream from Cuisinart. It was in the machine’s booklet, but you can find it on Cuisinart’s website. After making it so many times, I found that I like an additional ½ cup of milk, which I have to admit is probably ½ cup too much. After all, the instructions mention something about keeping the base 1½ quarts (about 6 cups), but I push it a little. (But I won’t personally recommend doing this). But overall, this has ruined most store brought ice creams for me.

The next one I made more recently is tea flavored ice cream. I wanted to make it out of the vanilla recipe above, but I wasn’t sure how to go about it. I ended up using Milk Tea Ice Cream by Catherine Zhang from Zhang Catherine as instructional reference.

In the end I heated 4-6 bags of Celestial Seasonings’ Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride with the cream, milk, and vanilla. Then I poured the hot mixture into a bowl with the sugar and mixed it well. Lastly I let it cool and left it in the fridge overnight before churning. I think this was the best ice cream I made. It was absolutely delectable! But then again this is a favorite tea. As for my reference recipe I’d like to try it one day on it’s own. 

I also want to mention a few things I found after making this twice. I found that dissolving the sugar into a hot base gave it a slightly different texture. I haven’t tried this with any other recipe though. And I ended up straining the mixture, because a film developed on the surface once it cooled. 

I don’t have images for all of them, including this one, but I absolutely loved this Pineapple Ice cream, by Swathi (Ambujom Saraswathy) from Zesty South Indian Kitchen. I haven’t made any in a long time, but from what I recall, it was really refreshing. I do want to try it with coconut since I thought it could be a nice homemade replacement for Thirfty/Rite Aid Coconut Pineapple Ice Cream.

Lastly, (and the last thing I churned last year) I made This Lemon Sorbet by Leigh Anne Wilkes from Your Home Based Mom. It was the simplest sorbet recipe I could find quickly, so it’s a favorite. I accidently messed up since I didn’t let the sugar mixture cool before combining it with the other mixture. But I think it still turned out great. It also tasted great. Unfortunately, I discovered I’m not big on strong lemon flavor. So I do want to try it again (and make sure I cool it enough).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...