Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Short Stories I Read In November

Today, I’m here to talk about the short stories, miscellaneous posts, and podcast episodes I read or listened to in November. This post is appearing earlier this month, since I will mostly be away from the blog toward the latter half of December.

An Egg Before It Is Broken by Miyuki Jane Pinckard (Strange Horizons; November 9, 2020)

An Egg Before It Is Broken was the first story I read in November, and it was a nice bit of light reading. Recently, I’ve enjoyed stories where a character reminisces about some event in the past, and that’s essentially what this story was about. It was a scene, a moment in time, and it was written excellently. Also there were soft-boiled eggs.

Judge Dee and the Limits of the Law by Lavie Tidhar (Tor.com, November 11, 2020)

In October, I read a story by Lavie Tidhar called Juvenilia. In searching for more work by this author last month, I came across Judge Dee and the Limits of the Law. Recently, there have been a slew of vampire novels, and I’m not mad at the trend—especially if it keeps giving gems like Judge Dee and the Limits of the Law. This was such a fantastic vampire story. I loved the characters, and at times the story had a mystery novel feel to it along the same lines of Sherlock Holms—while part of it also felt like an origin story as well. The two characters, Judge Dee and Jonathan, kind of gave off a feel that reminded me of the dynamic between Holms and Watson. I gotta be honest, it was great. Besides the characters, the story was easy enough to get into, and the case Judge Dee and Jonathan took on kept me reading till the end. As the synopsis says “No vampire is ever innocent.” The limits of the laws vampires had to abide by were pretty clear, and it was interesting to see how Judge Dee applied them while making his verdicts. All-in-all, this was an enjoyable story to read.

From Around The Web…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...