Friday, November 12, 2021

The Friday 56 (209) & Book Beginnings: Piranesi by Susanna Clarke

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


Synopsis from Goodreads...
Piranesi's house is no ordinary building: its rooms are infinite, its corridors endless, its walls are lined with thousands upon thousands of statues, each one different from all the others. Within the labyrinth of halls an ocean is imprisoned; waves thunder up staircases, rooms are flooded in an instant. But Piranesi is not afraid; he understands the tides as he understands the pattern of the labyrinth itself. He lives to explore the house. There is one other person in the house—a man called The Other, who visits Piranesi twice a week and asks for help with research into A Great and Secret Knowledge. But as Piranesi explores, evidence emerges of another person, and a terrible truth begins to unravel, revealing a world beyond the one Piranesi has always known.


Beginning: "When the Moon rose in the Third Northern Hall I went to the Ninth Vestibule to witness the joining of the three Tides.

56: "At first, I only saw a scattering of here or there, but by the time I drew close to the Vestibule I was walking over an uneven and treacherous Floor of Jagged Stones."


Comments: I finally read Piranesi, and I loved the story. It's one of the best books I've read so far this year. What are you reading this week?

16 comments:

  1. Ooh I absolutely loved Piranesi as well, it's also in my top 3 of the year so far! It's so lyrical and weird, but also oddly true to humanity. Can't wait to read your thoughts on it, so I'll be back for the review! I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piranesi is one of the best books I've read this year. It's definitely a top favorite for me as well. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I was standing with this one in my hands at the bookshop just days ago! Decided to get in on audible and can't wait to start reading.

    Glad to hear you've enjoyed it so much.

    Have a good weekend!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say much about the audiobook, because I have a paperback copy of Piranesi. But, I hope you enjoy the story. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend! :-)

      Delete
  4. So glad you enjoyed this one! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this sounds complicated. But probably not more complicated than what I'm reading now, so who's to judge. Ha! My Friday post is here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a complex story, but I really enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. The synopsis sounds really intriguing. That's a great cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book cover is pretty. The colors are really vibrant, especially in-person. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. This sounds really good! Love the excerpts! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This author is on my must-try list. Enjoy the read and your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend! :-)

      Delete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...