Wednesday, August 3, 2022

I Listened to Special by Lizzo


I’ve been a fan of Lizzo for a while now, and one of my most anticipated albums of the year was her follow-up to 2019’s Cuz I Love You. It was one of my favorites during its release year, and that album (and the ones before it) set the bar pretty high for the kind of fun and quality music I expect from Lizzo. (Don’t even get me started about her 2016 EP, Coconut Oil. I still love it.)

Lizzo’s latest release, Special, more than continued with that trend, delivering catchy retro 80s pop and disco beats, mixed with hip hop and funk. In terms of lyrics and messaging, Special is a pretty positive album overall, especially in its tone. However, it was also reflective and heartfelt too, especially with songs like 2 Be Loved (Am I Ready), Break Up Twice, and Special, just to name a few.

There are no features on the album, but honestly, Special didn’t need any. Lizzo’s artistry was on full display. What I thought was interesting was how she used a variety of samples to really drive home the aesthetic of the album, but they didn’t overpower the tracks.

The hype for Special was more than deserved. It really is one of my favorite albums of 2022, and I look forward to whatever Lizzo releases next.

Have you listened to Special yet? If so, what did you think about it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...