Friday, September 2, 2022

The Friday 56 (221) & Book Beginnings: The Paradiso by Dante Alighieri

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


Synopsis from Goodreads...
In The Paradiso, Dante explores the goal of human striving: the merging of individual destiny with universal order. One of the towering creations of world literature, this epic discovery of truth is a work of mystical intensity? an immortal hymn to God, Nature, Eternity, and Love.



Beginning: "The glory of Him who moves all things rays forth
                     through all the universe, and it reflected
                     from each thing in proportion to its worth."

56: "Yet all these were creations! Ought not they--
       if what you said of them before is true--
       to be forever proof against decay?'"


Comments: I finished reading Paradise, so I'm officially done with The Divine Comedy. This was a sweeping epic story, and I enjoyed every second of it. What are you reading this week?

14 comments:

  1. Yessss to Paradiso and Dante! The Divine Comedy is still one of those classics I need to read, especially since it's been so influential on other classics I've read and loved! I'm glad you loved it, that's a good indicator for me since you're taste is always on point! Have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hope you enjoyed your weekend too!
      The Divine Comedy's long-standing influence and the quotes I occasionally read for it, were some the reasons why I ended up reading it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. An interesting sounding book.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/02/friday-56-if-it-looks-like-a-duck-by-frank-malley/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you enjoyed it! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting book. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it. I have not read this series. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to add this to my TBR. I wish I'd read it in high school so I could have the benefit from the class discussion.

    This week I conquered the Grapes of Wrath. My review and quotes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you love it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...