Friday, September 16, 2022

The Friday 56 (222) & Book Beginnings: Lakesedge by Lyndall Clipstone

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


Synopsis from Goodreads...
A gothic fantasy about monsters and magic, set on the banks of a cursed lake.

There are monsters in the world. When Violeta Graceling arrives at haunted Lakesedge estate, she expects to find a monster. She knows the terrifying rumors about Rowan Sylvanan, who drowned his entire family when he was a boy. But neither the estate nor the monster are what they seem. There are monsters in the woods. As Leta falls for Rowan, she discovers he is bound to the Lord Under, the sinister death god lurking in the black waters of the lake. A creature to whom Leta is inexplicably drawn…There’s a monster in the shadows, and now it knows my name. Now, to save Rowan—and herself—Leta must confront the darkness in her past, including unraveling the mystery of her connection to the Lord Under.


Beginning: "There are monsters in the world."

56: "The road gives way to a graveled drive, arched by an intricate iron gateway."


Comments: I got a paperback copy of Lakesedge for review from Bookishfirst, and I liked it. What are you reading this week?

12 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous cover! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. The cover is nice, and it fits with the overall feel of the story. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That beginning is true! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite sentences from Lakesedge, and it's a good introduction to the story. It says a lot, and it does it with just a few words too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I am not a fantasy reader but I like the cover. I hope you enjoy this one and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed your weekend!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read a gothic story in a long time. I used to love them so much and this sounds like a good one. I love the cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lakesedge is more fantasy than anything else, but there are some gothic aspects to it. I liked the story. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I'm really looking forward to reading this one!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read it, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Ooooh this sounds (and looks) like perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...