Friday, November 11, 2022

The Friday 56 (225) & Book Beginnings: The Empress of Salt and Fortune by Nghi Vo

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


Synopsis from Goodreads...
A young royal from the far north is sent south for a political marriage in an empire reminiscent of imperial China. Her brothers are dead, her armies and their war mammoths long defeated and caged behind their borders. Alone and sometimes reviled, she must choose her allies carefully. Rabbit, a handmaiden, sold by her parents to the palace for the lack of five baskets of dye, befriends the emperor's lonely new wife and gets more than she bargained for. At once feminist high fantasy and an indictment of monarchy, this evocative debut follows the rise of the empress In-yo, who has few resources and fewer friends. She's a northern daughter in a mage-made summer exile, but she will bend history to her will and bring down her enemies, piece by piece.


Beginning: "Something wants to eat you," called Almost Brilliant from her perch in a nearby tree, "and I shall not be sorry if it does."

56: "In-yo was silent behind her screen. Seated in my obscure corner of the hall, I could see a tiny twitch of movement, her hand tightening on the bulky silky robes that I had dressed her in that morning."


Comments: I read The Empress of Salt and Fortune, and it's probably one of the best novellas I've read so far this year. I loved everything about it. What are you reading this week?

12 comments:

  1. Interesting names and snippets! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/11/11/friday-56-the-will-by-rebecca-reid/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That intro does grab your interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great opener! I want to keep reading. Glad to hear it was so good! Hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beginning is a really strong intro to the story, and I knew I was going to end up liking it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. This one is already on my tbh list. I absolutely love oriental inspired stories! I haven't seen it on anyone's blogs, so I'm so happy that you liked it! I need to read it. The opening line is really quirky and makes me wonder what the history there is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really great story, and I highly recommend it. I hope you enjoy it if you read it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...