Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Short Stories I Read In January

It’s February 28th. So it’s time for the first Short Stories post of 2023. Today, I’m going to talk about the short stories, poetry, miscellaneous posts, and podcast episode I read or listened to in January.

Between the Stones and the Stars by A.L. Goldfuss (Lightspeed Magazine; Jan 2023 Issue 152)

The first story I read in January was Between the Stones and the Stars by A.L. Goldfuss. It’s basically about two lonely travelers (adventurers), a warrior and another with humble beginnings, who arrive at a summit that holds the chalice they both seek. When they meet, it provides something of a crossroad, for both of them. To be honest, it was an interesting concept to open with and one that proved to be an immediate hook. In a way the story turned into something of a character study, particularly in the narrator’s monologue. It was a quick read, but it was one I enjoyed.

Flower, Daughter, Soil, Seed by Eugenia Triantafyllou (Uncanny Magazine; Issue Fifty)

The next (and last) short story I read in January was Flower, Daughter, Soil, Seed. I was really excited to see this one come up, because some of my favorite stories from last year were written by Eugenia Triantafyllou. This story was just as good as the others. It had a real fairy tale-esque feel to it, since the narration starts by recounting the story of a yellow daffodil, and how it eventually spanned into years of a cycle of growing, living, moving or fleeing, death, and then rinse and repeat. The fantastical aspects were tied up in that cycle. And, while only a short time was spent with each generation, the story excelled at making me care about them anyway. All-in-all, this was another great story from Triantafyllou!

From around the web…

 

2 comments:

  1. Some of those magazines have amazing stories, and I hardly ever take time to seek them out. I think you've reviewed some of these before (?) because it seems like I've seen some good reads here I wouldn't otherwise have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories aren't the same. Goldfuss is a new writer to me. But, I know I wrote about Triantafyllou's stories, The Village and Bone Soup, in May and July of last year. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...