Friday, September 29, 2023

Short Stories I Read In August

It’s the twenty-ninth of September. So it’s time to write about the short stories, miscellaneous posts, and podcast episodes I read or listened to in August.

The Magazine of Horror by Oghenechovwe Donald Ekpeki [Apex Magazine; August 15, 2023]

The Magazine of Horror is an unusual little story, but it’s one of the best that I read in August. A series of correspondences—structured as emails—revealed the interaction between editors of a magazine and a writer submitting a story (who also shared a name with Ekpeki). But there were some unusual terms revealed about the way the magazine operated, which culminated in some creative speculative aspects. All-in-all, I liked this one.

The Discarded Ones by Linda Niehoff (Apex Magazine; August 8, 2023)

The Discarded Ones is a ghost story to put on your October reading list. It’s not a scary one, but was instead thoughtful and thought-provoking. There was a well-meaning and lonely narrator who believed the rosy-hued account sold by a commercial. And there were ghosts that couldn’t move on, in a situation that read like a pet adoption from a local shelter. It was an interesting idea and a little eerie, but it was also the kind of story that was very melancholic but ended on a more hopeful note. Overall, The Discarded Ones was very good.

**Starting this month, I’m including stories I’ve read from an anthology called The Book of Witches edited by Jonathan Strahan. I’m reading the book in no particular order. And for context and as a disclaimer: I won a hardcover copy from Harper Voyager; thank you!**

What I Remember of Oresha Moon Dragon Devshrata by P. Djèlí Clark (The Book of Witches edited by Jonathan Strahan and illustrated by Alyssa Winans)

Clark is an author who is familiar to me, since I read and loved The Haunting of Tram Car 015. So, when I saw What I Remember of Oresha Moon Dragon Devshrata, it was one of the first stories in The Book of Witches that I wanted to read. I enjoyed this story so much! Set in Mara’s Bay, the coastal town receives a victor who offers a cryptic warning and a solution, for a price. The rest of it unfolds from there, following a trajectory toward broken promises and near tragedy. And, in a way, it can feel very familiar. That’s especially the case when it comes to fiction stories about witches: how determination and welcome, turns to doubts and rumors, and that inevitably is a pot waiting to boil over into violence. What I Remember of Oresha Moon Dragon Devshrata is another good story by P. Djèlí Clark.

From around the web…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...