Friday, November 17, 2023

What I've Been Watching


October is one of my busiest viewing months, or, well, the whole holiday season is. I blame it on the seasonal shows, new seasons, and old favorites that I like to rewatch as the year winds down. Stuff I’ve written about before like The House With a Clock in Its Walls and Hocus Pocus, among many others. I won’t be recapping my experience with those, and instead I’m going to focus on what’s relatively new on my end….

One of my most anticipated films of the year was Barbie, and I’ve finally watched it. I had an incredible amount of fun with this film. I enjoyed the humor as well as how great the performances were. Margot Robbie was the perfect choice for Stereotypical Barbie, and the same can be said about Ken and the rest of the casting too. In general, though, the overall story was great. It had its silly lighthearted moments, but it was balanced with some serious themes and tense moments, as Barbie went through an existential crisis. If you haven’t already watched it, then I highly recommend it.

Another movie I checked out was The Portable Door. I know this one is based on a book, which I haven’t read. That, however, didn’t deter me from watching the movie anyway. It was a fun and campy magic-tinged adventure with the classic heroes journey at its heart. Overall, it was pretty good and, if there’s ever a sequel, I would watch it.

Out of the majority of Disney’s 2023 releases, The Haunted Mansion was at the top of my list, right behind the live action The Little Mermaid. I actually like the 2003 film and, for so many years, it’s been a staple on my annual October viewing list. So I was very-very excited that another version was going to be released, especially since it featured the Hatbox Ghost. I like this one too. It had its funny moments, but it was also surprisingly heartwarming by the end of it. The design of the titular (and very) haunted mansion was eye catching, and I liked how reminiscent it was of the actual ride. It also worked well as an obstacle the characters had to navigate alongside the ghosts. I have a feeling that this one is going to be another October staple.

And last but certainly not least was one of my most anticipated second seasons of the year: SurrealEstate. I loved the first season, but it was open-ended leaving the future of the characters—and The Roman Agency—uncertain. So I was glad when I heard the series would be continued this year and right on time for October. It’s still airing as of when this post was written but, so far, the second season has been a true delight. It’s creepy and eerie in the right way, with great filming, effects, and ghost designs. The cast puts on a great performance as a charismatic team that’s (mild spoiler) hit a rough patch after experiencing an abrupt shake-up in their dynamic. Though the storytelling is episodic, there is an overarching plotline happening alongside each self-contained narrative. I, for one, am looking forward to the rest of the season, particularly for how some of the interpersonal issues and other mysteries will be resolved.

So that’s a pretty good idea of what I was watching through the month of October. Until next time, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...