Friday, March 31, 2017

The Friday 56 (99) & Book Beginnings: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE
Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.
32075671Synopsis from Goodreads...

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed. Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr. But what Starr does or does not say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life...
Beginnings: "I shouldn't have come to this party. I'm not even sure if I belong at this party."

56: "Momma cuts him a quick glare, then turns to me. "So, you think your up for it, Starr?"
Comments: I don't have much to say about this because I literally just started reading it yesterday. I've only read a couple of pages, but I plan on finishing The Hate U Give before the weekend is over.

What are you reading this week?

23 comments:

  1. I love that cover, and the book looks great. Good choices of excerpts. My Friday book is Dancing the Death Drill by Fred Khumalo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too. It's one of my favorites. Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. I have seen this *everywhere*! Hope you enjoy :)
    Cora ❤ http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost done with it and really like the mc, Starr Carter. Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  3. I have heard so many incredible things about this powerful book. I hope that it is one you enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually pretty accurate about of The Hate U Give. I'm almost done with it, and based off of what I've read, it's a really thought-provoking read. Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  4. sounds definitely based on an important theme right now. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  5. I've heard nothing but raves about this one! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your weekend! :-)

      Delete
  6. It's got a great cover and I've been reading good things about it. Hope you like it.

    My Friday 56 from The Shack

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this one was such a powerful read. I hope you enjoy the rest of the novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one definitely deserves the praise its getting. There's so much about the story that I really love. Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  8. Oooh! I really want to read the Hate U Give! I've been hearing nothing but good things about this book!

    Here’s my Friday 56!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first time I've seen this book - the excerpts are good - thanks for stopping by my Friday meme earlier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your weekend! :-)

      Delete
  10. Glad that very relevant books are making the rounds!
    http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2017/03/friday56-bookbeginnings-passione.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hate U Give is definitely worth the read. Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  11. I'm waiting for this one at the library! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have me curious for more! :-) Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...