Saturday, May 29, 2021

Short Stories I Read In March & April


In March, I didn’t read many short stories, and the ones I did get to I didn’t have much to say about. So, I’m combining March and April’s short stories post into one. It’s the twenty-ninth of May. And it’s time to talk about all the short stories, miscellaneous posts, and podcast episodes I read or listened to in March and April. 

Las Girlfriends Guide to Subversive Eating by Sabrina Vourvoulias (Apex Magazine; Issue 122, March 2021)

This one was an interesting read to go through. It was all about a specific place with a side bonus of some light magic elements. It read like a menu at times, but mostly it was kind of like a travel brochure. It was fun, and I liked the interactive choose-your-own-adventure style aspect.

Mouth by Sasha Lapointe (Strange Horizons; Issue: 1 March 2021)

The second and final story I read in March was Mouth by Sasha Lapointe. This was a fantastic story. I really don’t want to say too much about it, because it’s better to experience it yourself. What I will say is that I liked how the author approached the themes of the story. It was straight to the point, and well written.

Masquerade Season by ‘Pemi Aguda (Tor.com; March 24, 2021)

To start April, I went back and read one of the short stories I was meaning to read the month prior. Masquerade Season by ‘Pemi Aguda was a beautiful story about masquerades, a boy, and his mother. It explores what it means to be a “good child” and when love and care crosses the boundary into something a little more sinister with opportunistic manipulation. The questions posed by the story of right and wrong, boundaries, and difficult decisions were all around handled well. I can’t recommend this one enough.

Mysteries of Visiocherries/Misteri Visciceri by Rio Johan (Strange Horizons; Issue: April 26 2021)

The second and last short story I read in April was Mysteries of Visiocherries by Rio Johan. Here we have another story with mixed media type content. It was about an incident that took place in a laboratory involving a fire and a disappearance. It reads like a case file put together after the aforementioned occurrence took place, and I liked Johan’s approach to the thematic elements. I mean, for a story about bioengineered fruit, it had some surprisingly eerie moments. And the overall feel was one that leaned towards a somewhat cautionary tone.
 
From around the web…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...