Friday, May 12, 2023

The Friday 56 (232) & Book Beginnings: Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


Synopsis from Goodreads...
Galaxy “Alex” Stern is the most unlikely member of Yale’s freshman class. Raised in the Los Angeles hinterlands by a hippie mom, Alex dropped out of school early and into a world of shady drug dealer boyfriends, dead-end jobs, and much, much worse. By age twenty, in fact, she is the sole survivor of a horrific, unsolved multiple homicide. Some might say she’s thrown her life away. But at her hospital bed, Alex is offered a second chance: to attend one of the world’s most elite universities on a full ride. What’s the catch, and why her? Still searching for answers to this herself, Alex arrives in New Haven tasked by her mysterious benefactors with monitoring the activities of Yale’s secret societies. These eight windowless “tombs” are well-known to be haunts of the future rich and powerful, from high-ranking politicos to Wall Street and Hollywood’s biggest players. But their occult activities are revealed to be more sinister and more extraordinary than any paranoid imagination might conceive.

Beginning: "Alex hurried across the wide, alien plane of Beinecke Plaza, boots thudding over flat squares of clean concrete." 

56: "A vague, confused expression crossed his face."


Comments: Last month, I read Ninth House to get out of my reading slump. I really loved the story, and I'm looking forward to the sequel. What are you reading this week?

14 comments:

  1. Ooh and the sequel is just as awesome. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm currently in the middle of reading Hell Bent, and I really love it so far. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear that Ninth House de-slumped you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I. So I read it at the right time. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Another selection on my huge wish list!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend! :-)

      Delete
  4. I placed this book on my TBR last year, then removed it. I think I need to put it back on. Sounds thrilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Yay for getting out of your reading slump! I hope you enjoy this one as well. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite reads so far this year, and I'm currently reading its sequel. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Sounds good! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad this helped pull you out of a reading slump! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy your weekend too!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...