Friday, May 19, 2023

The Friday 56 (233) & Book Beginnings: Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


Synopsis from Goodreads...
Traveler, Cleric, Witch.

The villagers in the sleepy hamlet of Lychford are divided. A supermarket wants to build a major branch on their border. Some welcome the employment opportunities, while some object to the modernization of the local environment. Judith Mawson (local crank) knows the truth -- that Lychford lies on the boundary between two worlds, and that the destruction of the border will open wide the gateways to malevolent beings beyond imagination. But if she is to have her voice heard, she's going to need the assistance of some unlikely allies...


Beginning: "Judith Mawson was seventy-one years old, and she knew what people said about her...."

56: "Lizzie was looking around at a workshop full of bubbling test tubes and beakers with things dripping into them."


Comments: Witches of Lychford was one of the old Tor.com ebook club titles I had. I finally got to it, and I had a fun time reading this novella. 

10 comments:

  1. You've captured my attention! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. This sounds pretty exciting. It reminds me of a TV series my children used to watch about fairy tale characters who are inadvertently stuck in our world because the border between the two worlds had some gaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds pretty interesting. The only TV series I know of with a similar premise was Once Upon a Time. Was that it or is there a different show?

      Delete
  3. This is on my TBR list. I'm glad to hear that you had a fun time reading it. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you had a great weekend too!

      Delete
  4. You had me with the title. Anything with "witch" or "witches" will get my attention. :-) I really like the premise of this one and the teasers you shared are both compelling. I think I'll add this to my wish list! I am glad you liked this novella! Thank you for sharing. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...