Friday, May 26, 2023

The Friday 56 (234) & Book Beginnings: The Border Keeper by Kerstin Hall

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


Synopsis from Goodreads...
She lived where the railway tracks met the saltpan, on the Ahri side of the shadowline. In the old days, when people still talked about her, she was known as the end-of-the-line woman.

Vasethe, a man with a troubled past, comes to seek a favor from a woman who is not what she seems, and must enter the nine hundred and ninety-nine realms of Mkalis, the world of spirits, where gods and demons wage endless war.

The Border Keeper spins wonders both epic—the Byzantine bureaucracy of hundreds of demon realms, impossible oceans, hidden fortresses—and devastatingly personal—a spear flung straight, the profound terror and power of motherhood. What Vasethe discovers in Mkalis threatens to bring his own secrets into light and throw both worlds into chaos.


Beginning: "She lived where the railway tracks met the saltpan, on the Ahri side of the shadowline."

56: "Vasethe rested the oars above the water and allowed the current to guide their boat into the channel."


Comments: The Border Keeper is another one of the Tor.com ebook club titles that had sat on my ereader for way too long. I'm glad I can mark this one off my TBR. The story was fine. What are you reading this weekend?

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. This sounds really interesting. Love the cover too. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story was just fine, but it did have a lot of interesting concepts (particularly for the world building/setting). Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. I think that books on my e-reader live there as long or longer than physical books because they are so easily ignored. Enjoy. I like like the opening. It drew me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have to agree, which is why I mainly buy physical copies. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you had a great weekend! :-)

      Delete
  4. This sounds good. I hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. That's a lovely cover. This sounds interesting and different. Do you think you'll read the next book in the series?

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm considering it. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...