Friday, October 6, 2023

Books To Read This October

It’s October, a.k.a. one of my favorite months in any given year. And, typically, I put together a short list of recommendations, comprised of books that I’ve read throughout the year that are perfect for the Halloween season too.

  • The first one is Breakup From Hell by Anna Dàvila Cardinal. Technically I read this book last year, but, since the HarperCollins union strike was happening, my review was posted later in 2023 instead. There is a strong religious element in the story, since it deals specifically with demons, as the title pretty much suggests. But Breakup From Hell was still a good story with a few scares. (To read my review click HERE)
  • Up next is Bittersweet in the Hollow by Kate Pearsall. I’ll have a review for this one later in the month, but I’m choosing to mention it here as well. I won’t say too much about it right now, but just know that it has magic, mystery, plenty of folklore-like aspects, and a strong witchy vibe to it.
  • My next recommendation is Michelle Jabès Corpora’s Holly Horror. It’s an eerie and incredibly atmospheric story. And while it’s setting—including Hobbie House—wasn’t isolated, there was an insular and solitary note to the story that’s due to how the perspective of the main character was written. If you’re looking for a creepy ghost story, then Holly Horror is one I would definitely recommend. (To read my review click HERE) 
  • Another ghost story is the middle grade novel: Field of Screams by Wendy Parris. There were plenty of frightening moments in this story, which was balanced with the personal journey for the main character, Rebecca, as well. (To read my review click HERE)
  • Ninth House and Hell Bent by Leigh Bardugo were a surprise for me. They’re dark, but I really like how Bardugo does the mysteries alongside the supernatural and secret society aspects. But, while I loved them, this recommendation comes with a slight warning. These are very dark novels, and I’d keep that in mind. (To read my review click HERE and HERE
  • A Study in Drowning by Ava Reid had gothic trappings in a fantasy setting combined with myths, academic rivals, and a sense of dread and isolation. It’s one of the most atmospheric novels I’ve read this year and, with everything mentioned above, it would make for a perfect read this October. (To read my review click HERE)
  • My next one is The God of Endings by Jacqueline Holland. This is one of my top favorite books of the year so far because of its take on vampires. It’s essentially a character study, for a vampire grappling with what it means to be a vampire and live that long of a life through the many horrors of history. It’s also a dual timeline novel, set throughout history and to the present of the character’s life.(To read my review click HERE) 
  • Last but certainly not least is Silver Nitrate by Silvia Moreno-Garcia! This is another good one. Films and occultism in 90s Mexico, delivered with Moreno-Garcia’s usual flare for vibrant characterization and a thrilling page-turning adventure. (To read my review click HERE)

So those are my recommendations. If you have your own, feel free to leave them in the comments. Thanks for reading!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...