Friday, October 13, 2023

The Friday 56 (241) & Book Beginnings: A Study in Drowning by Ava Reid

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.

Synopsis from Goodreads...
Effy Sayre has always believed in fairy tales. She’s had no choice. Since childhood, she’s been haunted by visions of the Fairy King. She’s found solace only in the pages of Angharad - author Emrys Myrddin’s beloved epic about a mortal girl who falls in love with the Fairy King, and then destroys him. Effy’s tattered, dog-eared copy is all that’s keeping her afloat through her stifling first term at Llyr’s prestigious architecture college. So when Myrddin’s family announces a contest to design the late author’s house, Effy feels certain this is her destiny. But Hiraeth Manor is an impossible task: a musty, decrepit estate on the brink of crumbling into a hungry sea. And when Effy arrives, she finds she isn’t the only one who’s made a temporary home there. Preston Héloury, a stodgy young literature scholar, is studying Myrddin’s papers and is determined to prove her favorite author is a fraud. As the two rival students investigate the reclusive author’s legacy, piecing together clues through his letters, books, and diaries, they discover that the house’s foundation isn’t the only thing that can’t be trusted. There are dark forces, both mortal and magical, conspiring against them - and the truth may bring them both to ruin.


Beginning: "The poster was frayed and tattered as a page torn from someone's favorite book."

56: "It was an understatement, but she figured there would be plenty of time for gushing praise."


Comments: I read A Study in Drowning as an ARC and reviewed it last month HERE. I loved the story enough to get a physical edition to have on my shelf. What are you reading this week?

8 comments:

  1. Captivating cover, title, synopsis, and excerpts. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. A Study in Drowning is one of my favorite reads of the year, and I highly recommend it.
      Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete
  2. I am really looking forward to reading A Study in Drowning. You've reminded me how much with these teasers. I am so glad you enjoyed this one, Breana. I hope I will too! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hope you enjoy it too! Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete
  3. This sounds fantastic! I'm adding it to my wishlist right now. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete
  4. You read it and then bought a physical copy of the book? That says a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cover and I only ever get physical copies of ARCs when I reaalllyy love the book, so I consider that a very solid recommendation! Also, the blurb did not go where I expected it to, so I'm intrigued about how this story plays out! I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...