Friday, August 25, 2017

The Friday 56 (112) & Book Beginnings: Women in Sports: 50 Fearless Athletes Who Played To Win by Rachel Ignotofsky

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. For the full rules, visit the the page HERE
Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.
32807214Synopsis from Goodreads...

Women in Sports highlights notable women's contributions to competitive athletics to inspire readers young and old. Keeping girls interested in sports has never been more important: research suggests that girls who play sports get better grades and have higher self-esteem--but girls are six times more likely to quit playing sports than boys and are unlikely to see female athlete role models in the media. A fascinating collection full of striking, singular art, Women in Sports features 50 profiles and illustrated portraits of women athletes from the 1800s to today including trailblazers, Olympians, and record-breakers in more than 40 different sports. The book also contains infographics about relevant topics such as muscle anatomy, a timeline of women's participation in sports, statistics about women in athletics, and influential female teams...
Beginnings: "Florence Madeline "Madge" Cave was born in 1881 and grew up in England. During the winter, men and women enjoyed skating, but women were not allowed to participate in any of the competitions." 

56: "First gymnast in history to be awarded a score of a perfect 10.0"
Comments: I read Rachel Ignotofsky's other book, Women in Science, and really enjoyed it. So, I was excited for Women in Sports. I liked this book a lot, mainly because it introduced me to a number of female athletes that I've never heard of before. My beginning comes from page 11 and the 56 is talking about the gynmnast Nadia Comăneci. 

Have you recently read any nonfiction? Or what are you reading this week?

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I hope so too. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. This one sounds interesting, and important for young women to find inspiration in those who have gone before.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on that. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I definitely recommend this one as well as Ignotofsky's Women in Science. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  4. I seldom read nonfiction but this one does sound interesting. My teasers are from a historical mystery - A Conspiracy in Belgravia by Sherry Thomas. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fantastic and something I'd want to gift to my niece. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're right. I think this one would make a nice gift. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  6. Interesting topic. Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a wonderfully encouraging book. The excerpts are great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds fascinating!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a very interesting and informative read. And I LOVE that cover! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like the illustrations for this book. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  10. Although I have never been particularly good at sports, I do enjoy books about women accomplishing great things. This sounds like something I would enjoy reading, and like one I would like on my shelf for when my daughter's older. Thanks for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...