Friday, April 12, 2024

The Friday 56 (247) & Book Beginnings: Cathedral, Forge, and Waterwheel: Technology and Invention in the Middle Ages by Frances & Joseph Gies

The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice where every Friday you pick a book and turn to page 56 or 56%, and select a sentence or a few, as long as it's not a spoiler. **Note: Freda @ Freda's Voice is taking a break from The Friday 56; Anne @Head is Full of Books is hosting for now.**

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.


Synopsis from Goodreads...
In this account of Europe's rise to world leadership in technology, Frances and Joseph Gies make use of recent scholarship to destroy two time-honored myths.

Myth One: that Europe's leap forward occurred suddenly in the Renaissance, following centuries of medieval stagnation. Not so, say the Gieses: Early modern technology and experimental science were direct outgrowths of the decisive innovations of medieval Europe, in the tools and techniques of agriculture, craft industry, metallurgy, building construction, navigation, and war. Myth Two: that Europe achieved its primacy through Western superiority. On the contrary, the authors report, many of Europe's most important inventions--the horse harness, the stirrup, the magnetic compass, cotton and silk cultivation and manufacture, papermaking, firearms, Arabic numerals--had their origins outside Europe, in China, India, and Islam. The Gieses show how Europe synthesized its own innovations--the three-field system, water power in industry, the full-rigged ship, the putting-out system--into a powerful new combination of technology, economics, and politics. From the expansion of medieval man's capabilities, the voyage of Columbus with all its fateful consequences is seen as an inevitable product, while even the genius of Leonardo da Vinci emerges from the context of earlier and lesser-known dreamers and tinkerers.


Beginning: "In the centuries following the Middle Ages, thinkers of the European Enlightenment looked back on the previous period as a time "quiet as the dark of the night," when the world slumbered and man's history came to "a full stop.""

56: "When European horsemen finally adopted the stirrup and matched it with the contoured saddle, they gained a dramatic advantage."


Comments: This book has, admittedly, been on my shelf for a while. I was in the mood for nonfiction and finally picked it up. I enjoyed it. What are you reading this weekend?

10 comments:

  1. I think that nonfiction which languish on shelves are the hardest to finally pick up. Good for you for reading it after all these years. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been guilty of that in the past. Thankfully, this one was only on my shelf for about a year or so. I am glad I finally picked it up, because it's a fascinating book. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I like that opening a lot. It makes me want to know more about the time period and what the author wants to share with us. Nonfiction isn't my go to book category, but I do enjoy it from time to time. Especially when it's history related. I am glad you enjoyed this one! Have a great weekend, Breanna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the beginning too. I feel like it perfectly encapsulates the notion the book sets out to disprove. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. This book sounds fascinating, I love learning about The Middle Ages! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete
  4. Those are great excerpts. Have a wonderful week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, and I'm glad you liked them as well. I hope you have a great week too!

      Delete
  5. This sounds really interesting! Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. And I hope you had a good weekend too!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated and always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...